My site was nominated for Best Education Blog! My site was nominated for Best Blog of All Time!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Electric Cars: The Commercial Car of This Decade?

I was waiting for an fx ride in one of the adjoining streets of Legaspi Village in Makati when an unusual vehicle parked in front of me. To my surprise, people beside me started boarding the vehicle; my instinct told me that I should also board the vehicle, so I did. I was very curious about the vehicle that’s why I made sure that I am seated near the driver. The first thing I noticed inside the vehicle was the drop box bearing the label, “donation box”. To make sure what I’m thinking that moment was right, I asked the driver if the vehicle is headed to Landmark Department Store and how much do I have to pay for the ride. He replied that I don’t have to pay but added that I can give any amount as donation to help maintain the vehicle. After that, I asked several other questions about the vehicle and the driver gladly answered all my queries to my satisfaction.

That was my first encounter with electric cars, and honestly, I was really impressed.
How I wish that all the vehicles running the streets of Metro Manila are run by electricity; that would be a welcome sight, isn’t it, that would mean lesser pollution and lesser dependence on costly oil. My curiosity about electric cars brought me further to the internet; there, I found out that there are more advance electric cars in Europe and China, electric cars that can run more than 100 kph. That is far better than the one I rode about a week ago, the top speed of which is only about 40 kph. I also found out China has already started to manufacture this commercially, it is much cheaper than those being manufactured in Japan, U.S., and Europe.

Now I am left wondering, what are the efforts being done by our government to acquire this technology or are there any effort at all.
I am quite positive that in three to five years time, this technology will sweep the world’s car industry. I suggest that we prepare for it, or to be more precise, let’s embrace it’s coming as early as we could or should we prefer to be more cautious? What say ye?

No comments:

Post a Comment